The Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA 18) and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) commenced on 25th May 2018.
GDPR regulates the “processing” of personal information and includes obtaining, storing, viewing, using, updating, disclosing and destroying any data held electronically, in structured manual records and to a limited extent to unstructured manual records.
Personal data within DPA 18 and GDPR covers ‘any data that can be used to identify a living individual either directly or indirectly’. Individuals can be identified by various means including but not limited to, their address, telephone number or e-mail address. Anonymised or aggregated data is not regulated by the provisions, providing the anonymisation or aggregation of the data is irreversible.
The Hellenic School of Manchester is committed to:
- Using personal data lawfully, fairly and in a transparent way
- Collecting relevant personal data only for valid purposes that are clearly explained
- Keeping accurate and up to date personal data
- Only keeping personal data only as long as necessary for the purposes that have been defined
- Keeping personal data securely
- Data subject rights
Anyone whose personal information is kept by the Hellenic School of Manchester has the following rights:
- To know what information we hold and processes about them
- To know the legitimate reasons for processing
- The right to consent or withdraw consent
- To know how to gain access to this information
- To know how to keep it up to date
- To receive this data in a clear format
- To receive this data within one month
- To prevent processing of their personal data in some circumstances and have the right to correct, rectify, block or erase information regarded as incorrect
- To be informed of any miss-use or loss of this data if the loss represents a high risk to the rights and freedoms of individuals
- The right to erasure of personal information – commonly referred to as the “right to be forgotten”
Individuals have a right under the Regulation to ask the Hellenic School of Manchester if it holds their personal data, and if so, be provided with a copy of it, this is known as “subject access requests”.
This policy is based on the Data Protection Policy of the Greek School of Bristol.
Last reviewed: April 2023 – Next review: August 2023